Why Captain Mike?
- U.S. Coast Guard Licensed
- 34 Years Lake Murray Striper Fishing Experience
- Member Lake Murray Captain Association
- Shakespeare Pro Staff Fishing Guide
- Graduate of SeaSchool Academy
- Red Cross CPR & First Aid Certified
- Graduate of University of South Carolina (1980)
More about Lake Murray, South Carolina
Lake Murray, SC ...
- Construction of Lake Murray began September 21, 1927 and was finished June 30, 1930. The lake was built for the purpose of producing hydro electricity. Lake Murray was built during the depression. Workers were paid $1 per day, three hot meals & a cot for compensation.
- The primary engineer was from Utica, New York. He stood six-foot-eight. His name was William S. Murray.
- The lake is 50,000 acres in size and borders on four counties (i.e., Richland, Lexington, Saluda & Newberry). Lake Murray has approximately 650 miles of shoreline - it covers 78 square miles.
- The Lake is 41 miles long and 14 miles wide at its widest point.
- The eastern dam has 11 million cubic yards of material. Height 212 feet, Length 7,838 feet and base width is 1,150 feet. At date of completion it was the largest earthen dam ever constructed in the United States.
- The striped bass is the state's official fish. Stocking of striped bass in Lake Murray began in 1957. Interesting fact - 5 1/2 million walleye fry were stocked in Lake Murray in 1967 & 1968.
- Primary fish in Lake Murray - striped bass, largemouth, crappie, perch, catfish & shell crackers.